Create natural and dramatic effects in your artwork with the new Artool Splatter FX Freehand Airbrush Templates by Gerald Mendez. Add endless splatters with awesome colour transactions.
These Artool Splatter FX templates, designed by Gerald Mendez and laser cut by Artool,
Applications, techniques and tips:
- Multiple effects can be achieved by rotating templates
- Overlap one template with another to create unique patterns
- Turn any shape, logo or lettering into custom splatter shapes by using the inside edges of each template
For a wet look:
- Airbrush the base colour of desired splatter
- Shade the bottom areas with a darker colour
- Add highlights to define reflections on the opposite side
- Enhance splatter with brighter highlights as a final touch
Expanding the size of the splatter:
- Choose a template and fix it to the surface with masking tape
- Airbrush with solid base colour
- Move the template around to achieve expanded shapes
Using the Splatter FX template as a mask:
- Secure the position of the template with masking tape
- Mask areas that need to be blocked out
- Spray base colour and paint design inside of splatter area
- Lightly airbrush shadows around perimeter of spatter for 3D effect
Gerald Mendez has been airbrushing since 1986. After his graphic design education in Mexico City, he undertook the challenge to master as many techniques as possible to improve the quality of his artwork – including airbrush and digital illustration, along with airbrush automotive techniques. His drive to create what he terms as “unreal concepts” has motivated him to develop his own personal and unique style. Gerald’s airbrush studio is located in Chino, California and he is currently working as a digital illustrator for Disney Studios while staying busy with custom automotive painting projects.
Templates are approx. 8" x 10"